- Philanthropy is the most popular pastime among billionaires, Business Insider previously reported, but many of the world’s wealthiest people also make time to maintain their personal collections.
- Jeff Bezos has funded teams that have collected rockets off of the ocean floor, according to his blog, while Michael Dell spent a reported $100 million on a collection of vintage photographs.
- Kylie Jenner has a collection of luxury handbags worth at least $440,335, according to Elle UK.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Philanthropy is the most popular pastime among billionaires, Business Insider previously reported, but many of them also make time to maintain their personal collections.
Some of the world’s richest people prefer classic collectors’ items like diamond-encrusted Rolex watches and souped-up sports cars; Amazon founder Jeff Bezos has funded teams that have collected rockets off of the ocean floor; and Dell Technologies founder Michael Dell prefers vintage photographs, Business Insider previously reported.
Keep reading to learn about the personal collections of seven billionaires.
The richest man in the world, Jeff Bezos, spent three weeks on a submarine in 2013 collecting the booster rockets used in the Apollo 11 mission from the ocean floor.
"I was five years old when I watched Apollo 11 unfold on television, and without any doubt it was a big contributor to my passions for science, engineering, and exploration," Bezos — who has a net worth of $165.6 billion — wrote on the Bezos Expeditions blog in 2013. "A year or so ago, I started to wonder, with the right team of undersea pros, could we find and potentially recover the F-1 engines that started mankind’s mission to the moon?"
One of the rockets has been on display at The Museum of Flight in Seattle since 2015, according to the Museum’s website.
Kylie Jenner, the world’s youngest "self-made" billionaire, has been collecting designer handbags "for a minute."
"I’ve been collecting these bags for a minute," the reality television star said in a video showing off her collection on Youtube. "They’re also a great investment."
Jenner’s collection, which includes at least four Louis Vuitton Graffiti Speedy bags, three Chanel quilted bags, four Gucci Dionysus bags, three Hermes Kelly bags, and 10 Hermes Birkin bags, is stored in a custom-built closet, Jenner’s Instagram posts show.
Phil Knight has a very private collection of books.
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
The 81-year-old billionaire kept a library attached to his office in the athletic wear giant’s office, according to The New York Times. Knight — who has a net worth of $36.2 billion — only let select employees enter, but before they did, Knight required them to take off their shoes and bow. He told The New York Times that he left his book collection in Nike’s Beaverton, Oregon offices after he retired in 2016.
"Of course the library still exists," Knight said. "I’m always learning."
- Here are all the politicians Jeffrey Epstein, the money manager arrested on charges of sex trafficking, has donated to
- 6 famous homes you can rent right now, from the Malibu beach house in ‘Big Little Lies’ to the 2-story farmhouse in ‘Field of Dreams’
- Giorgio Armani, one of the richest men in fashion, turns 85 today. Take a look at how the legendary designer spends his nearly $7 billion fortune, from a 213-foot yacht to homes in Italy, France, and the Caribbean