Greg Bishop/Flickr, Rob Kim/Getty Images
- Billionaires can afford to make lavish purchases beyond most people’s means, varying from entire islands to trips to space to sports teams.
- Many billionaires in the tech industry have put their riches into oppulent modes of transportation, including private planes.
- Here are some of the tech billionaires who have spent their fortunes on private jets for fast and easy travel.
Of all the status symbols out there that billionaires could use to flaunt their wealth, owning a private jet may be one of the most lavish choices.
Billionaires, like Richard Branson and Elon Musk, are often known for their crazy purchases. When you can afford to spend $80 million a year on average, you have the luxury of being able to drop millions for investments in items that the average person could never dream of.
A common purchase among billionaires are private planes. Having a private jet for quick and easy travel may be especially valuable for high-powered executives and investors who may need to be on the other coast that same day.
Here are some of the notable tech billionaires who own private jets:
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world, owns a plane through his holding company, Poplar Glen.
Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images
Bezos’ Gulfstream G650ER jet seats eight people, and cost an estimated $65 million.
Source: Business Insider
Investor Mark Cuban owns three jets. The billionaire said in a 2017 interview that owning a private plane was his "all-time goal," because "the asset I value the most is time, and that bought me time."
Jin S. Lee
- The Galaxy S10 has 2 more cameras than the greatest smartphone camera in the world, the Pixel 3 — see for yourself how these flagship phones compare
- Don’t buy a foldable smartphone in 2019
- This is the craziest gaming setup we’ve ever seen: It has a full gaming PC, a PS4 Pro, three screens, snacks, and a built-in massager