- "Fortnite" Season 9 launched on May 9 — adding new outfits, big map changes, and a futuristic theme to the world’s most popular game.
- Tilted Towers and Retail Row, two of the most popular "Fortnite" hotspots, have been destroyed by a volcanic eruption and replaced with two brand new destinations: "Neo Tilted" and "Mega Mall."
- Both locations have a futuristic tech theme, and a transportation system called Slipstream will let players ride the wind around the new map locations.
- Players can purchase the season nine battle pass to unlock seven new skins, including three legendary outfits: Vendetta, Rox, and Sentinel. Leveling the battle pass gives players access to hundreds of rewards.
With more than 250 million registered players, "Fortnite" is the most popular game in the world. It helps that the game is available for free on essentially every modern video-game platform, including PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, iOS, and Android. Players can squad up with each other regardless of what platform they choose.
The game has three separate modes: the mega-popular Battle Royale, the freewheeling Creative, and the single-player Save The World campaign. The Battle Royale and Creative modes are free to play, while Save the World costs $40.
The Season 9 update comes with a new battle pass that adds more than 100 unlockable rewards to the game, along with weekly challenges to encourage players to explore the updated "Fortnite" map.
Players who have been keeping up with "Fortnite" should know that Tilted Towers and Retail Row — two of the most recognizable areas in the game — were erased by the volcanic eruption at the end of season 8. In their place, Epic has introduced a pair of brand new destinations, and a new transportation system to help players travel across the island faster.
These are all of the key updates in "Fortnite" Season 9:
‘Fortnite’ Season 9 update adds seven new skins, but you’ll a battle pass to unlock them.
The Season Nine battle pass adds three legendary outfits: Vendetta, Rox, and Sentinel. Legendary skins can be upgraded over time, unlocking new styles and color options as you play. Rox and Sentinel are unlocked as soon as you buy the battle pass.
The battle pass also includes four epic outfits: Bunker Jonesy, Demi, Stratus, and Punk. Jonesy is a twist on the default "Fortnite" skin, while Demi, Stratus, and Punk all embody the futuristic theme of Season 9.
The season 9 battle pass costs 950 vbucks, the game’s virtual currency. You can pay $10 to unlock it right away or earn vbucks by playing over time. The Battle Bundle gives you some extra rewards for 2,800 vbucks, or $25.
Like prior seasons, the season nine battle pass costs 950 vbucks, and a discounted battle bundle includes the battle pass and the first 25 tiers of rewards for 2,800 vbucks. Vbucks can be earned through in-game challenges, or you can purchase them in bulk from the "Fortnite" shop.
The battle pass costs just under $10 if you’re paying with cash, while the battle bundle is $25.
The battle pass will let you unlock more than 100 rewards — like this new pet, Kyo.
While you can still unlock some items without the battle pass and save your vbucks for your favorite items in the shop, the battle pass has the most valuable rewards. Other exclusive items in the season nine battle pass include Kyo, a robotic pet.
Luckily, even if you spend the first few weeks of season 9 playing without the battle pass, you can still level up. If you decide to buy the pass late in the season, you’ll unlock the same rewards you would have received on day one.
- This is the craziest gaming setup we’ve ever seen: It has a full gaming PC, a PS4 Pro, three screens, snacks, and a built-in massager
- Grueling, 100-hour work weeks and ‘crunch culture’ are pushing the video game industry to a breaking point. Here’s what’s going on.
- A US senator is pushing a bill to stop ‘Fortnite’ and other games from selling ‘loot boxes’ to kids. Here’s why loot boxes are causing so much panic.