- Season 8 of "Fortnite" launched on February 28th — adding new skins, gameplay changes and a brand new theme to the world’s most popular game.
- In the game’s latest update, a volcano has erupted on the island, creating new locations on the map and scattering lava everywhere.
- The new season of "Fortnite" adopts a pirate theme, placing treasure chests and cannons around the island and adding a huge pirate ship in one of the map’s brand new areas.
- Players can purchase the Season 8 battle pass to unlock seven new skins, including three legendary outfits: Hybrid, Blackheart, and Luxe.
Season 8 of "Fortnite" has arrived, introducing a swashbuckling pirate theme for the spring and adding new locations to the island in "Battle Royale." Epic Games announced the new season with a cinematic trailer on Thursday.
"Fortnite" is the world’s most popular video game, with more than 200 million registered players and more than 80 million active players each month. "Fortnite" is available on essentially every modern video game platform, including PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PC, iOS, and Android. Players can squad up with each other regardless of what platform they choose.
The game has three separate modes: the mega-popular Battle Royale, the freewheeling Creative, and the single-player Save The World. Battle Royale and Creative modes are free to play, while Save the World costs $40.
A volcanic eruption marked the start of Season 8 on the "Fortnite" island, and players can now explore two new locations, Lazy Lagoon and Sunny Steps. The season 8 battle pass is available now as well, offering a fresh batch of new skins and other rewards. It also brings sweeping changes to the "Save the World" campaign.
These are all of the key updates in "Fortnite" Season 8:
Warning: You’ll need the a Season 8 Battle Pass to get exclusive items during the season.
You’ll need to buy a battle pass for a chance to unlock dozens of items that are exclusive to "Fortnite" Season 8. As players complete challenges during the season, the battle pass will level up and grant access to extra rewards like skins. If you purchased the battle pass during Season 7, you’ll start this season with an extra 30% XP boost.
Season 8 introduces seven new skins; you’ll need to grab a battle pass to unlock them all.
Among Season 8’s seven new skins are three legendary outfits: Blackheart, Hybrid, and Luxe. Legendary skins can be upgraded over time, unlocking new styles and color options as you play. Blackheart eventually turns into a bearded ghost pirate, while Hybrid becomes a dragon.
The Season 8 battle pass also includes four epic outfits: Sidewinder, Peely, Ember, and Master Key. Sidewinder is a cowgirl, like Calamity from Season 6. Ember is a member of the Ashen guard protecting the island’s volcano. Master Key resembles a martial artist and can unlock a special tiger mask. Peely… is a banana.
The Season 8 battle pass costs 950 vbucks, the in-game currency of "Fortnite." You can earn vbucks by playing the game, or pay $10 cash for 1,000 vbucks.
Like prior seasons, the Season 8 battle pass costs 950 vbucks, and a discounted battle bundle includes the season pass and the first 25 tiers of rewards for 2,800 vbucks. Vbucks can be earned through in game challenges, or you can purchase them in "Fortnite."
The battle pass costs just under $10 if you’re paying with cash, while the battle bundle is $25.
- Everything we know about the next Nintendo Switch, which may arrive as soon as this year
- The newest ‘Detective Pikachu’ trailer features even more cute and creepy Pokémon — here’s every live action Pokémon shown in the trailers so far
- Securing your ‘Fortnite’ account will net you free rewards — here’s what you get for turning on two-factor authentication