Fox Sports Southwest/NBA
- Dirk Nowitzki played his final home game with the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday.
- During the second quarter, the Mavs played a tribute video recounting all of Nowitzki’s charity work throughout his career, particularly his time spent in children’s hospitals.
- Nowitzki was moved to tears on the court after the video.
Dirk Nowitzki played his final home game with the Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday, scoring 30 points while helping them get a 120-109 win over the Phoenix Suns.
While the NBA season has been filled with tributes to Nowitzki, during the second quarter, the Mavs went beyond the court with a video showing all of Nowitzki’s charity work during his time in Dallas, particularly at children’s hospitals.
The video recounted Nowitzki often making visits quietly, away from the spotlight, bringing enough Christmas presents that they filled up giant, rolling containers, and playing music and games with the kids.
At the end of the video, on the court, Nowitzki was moved to tears.
via Fox Sports Southwest/NBA
Nowitzki hadn’t made his retirement official during the season, despite teams and the league itself treating him to a farewell tour. On Tuesday, he confirmed he would retire at the end of the season.
Watch the tribute video and Nowitzki’s reaction below:
- Read more:
- Budweiser surprised Dwyane Wade with a powerful tribute that included people whose lives he helped during his career
- Dwyane Wade sent Chrissy Teigen and John Legend’s drinks flying when he crashed into them courtside, and a photographer managed to capture the moment
- NBA insiders skewered the Lakers over Magic Johnson’s sudden, shocking resignation and had a perfect reaction to a favorite to replace him
- Here’s how much money you need to save to retire on a beach and play golf all day by age 40
- Walmart is quietly closing stores — here’s the full list
- 21 things flight attendants wish passengers would stop doing