- Reality TV couple Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag blew through their $10 million fortune from MTV series "The Hills" in two years while they were in their 20s, the couple told People in 2016.
- Pratt said he made up to $175,000 per episode, and the couple was making up to $2 million a year from paid appearances and photoshoots.
- By the end of "The Hills," the couple was broke after spending their fortune on things like $30,000 shopping sprees and $4,000 bottles of wine, according to Money.
- Now, the couple is staging a comeback with something called "crystal therapy."
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag, made famous by MTV’s six-season reality series "The Hills," blew through their multimillion-dollar fortune in two years while they were in their 20s.
"We were immature and we got caught up," Pratt told In Touch Weekly in 2014. "Every time we’d go out to eat, we’d order $4,000 bottles of wine. Heidi was going to the mall and dropping $20,000 to $30,000 a day. We thought we were Jay Z and Beyoncé."
Here’s a look at the reality TV couple’s spending, controversies, and how they’re trying to stage a comeback with something called "crystal therapy."
Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag starred on MTV’s "The Hills," a six-season reality series about a group of young people living in Los Angeles that ran from 2006 to 2010.
The show’s cast also included Lauren Conrad, Audrina Patridge, Whitney Port, Lo Bosworth, and Brody Jenner.
Montag and Pratt reportedly built up a $10 million fortune from their time on "The Hills" and related engagements.
In addition to their salary from the series, the couple made up to $2 million per year from paid appearances and photoshoots, People reported.
Pratt once wrote on Twitter that he was bringing in up to $175,000 per episode.
Montag and Pratt met at a club in Hollywood while Montag was filming the show in 2007.
YouTube/MTV’s The Hills
"I pretty much told everyone I was going to marry him and that I loved him," Montag said. "[Everyone] thought I was crazy."
- What it’s like living in the most expensive ZIP code in the Hamptons, where the median home price is $5.5 million and you need to make at least $850,000 a year to live comfortably
- The 13 most unequal places in America, ranked
- I visited ‘the most photographed barn in America,’ a dilapidated wood barn beloved by Instagrammers, influencers, and tourists. I didn’t see what the hype was all about.