iStock; Peabody/YouTube; Samantha Lee/Business Insider
- Startups that are valued at $1 billion or more belong to a unique breed of companies called "unicorns."
- 2018 was a record-setting year for unicorns, with almost 100 companies achieving the milestone.
- More unicorns are created every week — Compiled by Pitchbook, these are all the tech startups that have already reached valuations above $1 billion in 2019.
Not every tech startup can hit a $72 billion valuation like Uber, but the club of startups valued at $1 billion or more is getting bigger.
Members of this coveted group are known as "unicorns." They make up only a small percentage of all startups, but that percentage has been gradually growing.
2018 was a record-setting year for unicorns — almost 100 companies were able to woo investors and achieve ten-digit valuations, according to data from Pitchbook. As 2019 takes off, Pitchbook has been tracking the startups that have already reached unicorn status this year.
These are the tech startups whose valuations reached $1 billion in 2019:
10x Genomics — Gene sequencing system
Date unicorn status achieved: January 7
Headquarters: Pleasanton, California
Year founded: 2012
Current valuation: $1.28 billion
Read more about 10x Genomics on PitchBook.
360 Enterprise Security Group — Internet cybersecurity platform
AP Photo/Ng Han Guan
Date unicorn status achieved: January 9
Headquarters: Beijing, China
Year founded: 2015
Current valuation: $3 billion
Read more about 360 Enterprise Security Group on Pitchbook.
N26 — Mobile banking services
Date unicorn status achieved: January 10
Headquarters: Berlin, Germany
Year founded: 2013
Current valuation: $2.7 billion
Read more about N26 on Pitchbook.
- From Elon Musk to Bill Gates, here are all of the notable tech billionaires who own private planes to jet themselves around the world
- The new Galaxy S10 has a fancy new fingerprint sensor — but the old-fashioned version on the cheaper S10e is significantly better
- The best games every PlayStation 4 owner should have in their collection