- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson pictured putting his foot up on a table in the Élysée Palace during a meeting with French President Emmanuel Macron.
- Social media users label Johnson "rude," "entitled" and "embarrassing."
- The picture followed a meeting between the two leaders in which they discussed the UK’s exit from the EU.
- Macron dismissed Johnson’s demand for a fundamental renegotiation of Britain’s Brexit deal.
- Visit Business Insider’s home page for more stories.
Boris Johnson has been labeled "rude" and "embarrassing" after being pictured putting his foot up on a table in the Élysée Palace during a meeting with the French President Emmanuel Macron.
The picture followed a meeting between the two leaders on Thursday during which Macron ruled out a fundamental renegotiation of Britain’s Brexit deal.
Johnson’s biographer Sonia Purnell was among the social media users criticising Johnson’s posture in the picture.
"Rude and embarrassing. Imagine if Macron put his foot on the table at Buckingham Palace," Purnell tweeted.
The Sun Newspaper’s Political Editor Tom Newton Dunn also responded to Johnson’s "manspreading," adding "That should win Manu round."
Other social media users labeled Johnson’s behaviour as "entitled" and "unbelievable".
However, Brexit campaigner Darren Grimes suggested the photo was a sign of Johnson’s strength in talks with the EU.
- Emmanuel Macron rejects Boris Johnson’s demands for a new Brexit deal
- Freedom of movement for EU citizens coming to the UK will continue largely unchanged after a no-deal Brexit
- Boris Johnson urged to release secret official Brexit memo warning ministers about riots, soaring food prices and a deep recession