Fashionista is looking for a full-time associate editor to join the team in our New York City office.
We’re on the hunt for a fashion- and beauty-obsessed candidate who’s looking to build a career in editorial and publishing. This is a position suited for someone with two-to-three years of experience in writing and reporting. A familiarity with Fashionista’s tone and content is essential — as is a keen knowledge of the industry, its major players and pop culture — because you will be expected to start writing and pitching right out of the gate. Strong time management and organizational skills are crucial; the entire staff is expected to pitch in on nights and weekends as needed, particularly during awards season and fashion month. Experience with Photoshop and/or basic graphic design is a plus, as is having relationships with publicists and brands.
Main duties will include:
- Writing daily fashion and/or beauty news posts as needed.
- Reporting on after-hours events, including red carpets, fashion shows and panel discussions.
- Producing stories from freelance writers and the editorial team in the Fashionista CMS.
- Photo research for fashion stories and features.
- Pitching in to the Fashionista social media accounts as needed (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram).
- Conceptualizing, writing and reporting out feature stories on a weekly basis.
- Newsletter production.
- Keeping a constant eye on industry shakeups, trends, up-and-coming talents, models and influencers to watch, the retail landscape and more.
Above all, having a great attitude is key: Everyone on staff is a team player, and the ideal candidate is both positive and willing to chip in on tasks that aren’t necessarily included in the list above. Finally, those with the ability to think outside the box and pitch stories that are humorous, ahead of the curve, whip-smart and, when necessary, controversial will be given most consideration.
Interested? Please send us your resumé, a (very!) brief cover letter highlighting past work experience, salary requirements, two-to-three recent writing clips and links to your personal social media accounts to email@example.com. Candidates must be based in NYC and eligible for work in the U.S. We will be in touch if your credentials are a fit, but unfortunately we’re unable to respond to every submission.