Drew Angerer/Getty Images
- As Tropical Storm Barry neared hurricane strength as it began to close in on Louisiana, President Donald Trump started a storm of his own on Twitter.
- Trump retweeted 24 tweets and sent two of his own Saturday morning between 7:30 and 8:30 AM.
- The tweets were about Trump’s golf courses, news coverage of detention facilities, Asian carp, election security, Hillary Clinton’s personal emails, former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe, and more.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As Tropical Storm Barry approached Louisiana’s coast Saturday morning, nearing hurricane status and leaving more than 46,000 people in the state without power, President Donald Trump conjured up a storm of his own on Twitter.
Trump retweeted 24 tweets between 7:30 and 8:30 AM, 11 of which were from a verified account called Judicial Watch that describes itself as a "conservative non-partisan educational foundation promoting transparency, accountability, & integrity in government" in its bio.
Trump also quote-tweeted twice in the same time frame, once to call former FBI deputy director Andrew McCabe "a major sleazebag." Trump accused McCabe of taking "massive amounts of money from Crooked Hillary reps, for wife’s campaign, while Hillary was under ‘investigation’ by FBI!"
Trump’s tweet was in reference to Judicial Watch tweeting that it had filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the Department of Justice "for records of communications between the FBI & former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe related to his book, The Threat: How the FBI Protects America in the Age of Terror and Trump."
Trump also quote-tweeted Tom Fitton, President of Judicial Watch, who accused Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office of deleting texts "of corrupt FBI officials Lisa Page & Peter Strzok," who Fitton then claimed were anti-Trump, "pro-Clinton FBI lovers who were running the Clinton’s Trump-Russia spy op" in the same tweet.
Trump tweeted that Fitton’s accusation "is one of the most horrible abuses of all" and that "Those texts between gaga lovers would have told the whole story." Trump also claimed Mueller had performed "Illegal deletion" and that "They gave us ‘the insurance policy.’"
Trump’s tweetstorm began with him retweeting an ad for his golf courses from The Trump Organization’s official account, and Trump’s other retweets included one where Vice President Mike Pence called CNN’s coverage of migrant detention facilities "so dishonest" after he posted photos of his visit where he said "excellent care" was "being provided to families and children."
Trump didn’t tweet or retweet anything about Tropical Storm Barry, but he did retweet Senator Mitch McConnell’s offical press account about the Trump administration aiding the Kentucky government in the "war on #AsianCarp."
He also retweeted McConnell’s official account tweet about how the Trump administration "punched back hard" at Russian election interference, and he retweeted Judicial Watch tweets about Hillary Clinton’s personal emails and about whether Mueller should have investigated the Clinton campaign.
- Read more:
- Louisiana is preparing for what might be the first hurricane of 2019. Here’s why hurricanes are getting stronger, slower, and wetter.
- Progressives blame Nancy Pelosi for ‘horrendous’ migrant aid bill and holding them back on impeachment
- Photos and video capture Vice President Mike Pence’s visit to an overcrowded border facility where some detainees hadn’t showered for over a week
- ‘You are wrong about this’: Trump angered a social network popular with the far-right with his attack on bitcoin
- Walmart shopper films themself gargling mouthwash, spitting it back into a Listerine bottle, and putting it back on store shelves in viral stunt
- A new optical illusion on Twitter has people mistaking a car door for the beach
- Trump has apparently backtracked on his ‘win-or-lose’ promise to invite the World Cup-winning US women’s soccer team to the White House