- Arlan Hamilton is the founder and managing partner of Backstage Capital, a boutique venture capital fund that invests in underrepresented founders.
- We asked Hamilton what she looks for in the entrepreneurs she invests in.
- She said it’s important to take constructive criticism and to stay authentic.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Following is a transcript of the video.
I’m Arlan Hamilton and I’m the founder and managing partner of Backstage Capital.
When I’m looking at companies and founders, I’m looking across the table to find someone who reminds me of myself, who has tenacity, grit, hustle, all of that, who’s working on something bigger than themselves and understands that and who can take, hopefully, take constructive criticism maybe slightly better than I can.
The advice I give to leaders, especially those who are underrepresented is to remain true to themselves and to stay authentic and not to change for someone else and especially not to change for a dollar.
- 9 reasons you should buy the iPhone XR instead of an iPhone XS or XS Max
- This Silicon Valley founder went from being ‘really broke’ to starting a VC fund that’s invested $5 million in 100 companies
- The first-time founder’s ultimate guide to pitching a VC