- A new version of the Nintendo Switch will arrive this fall, according to a new report in Nikkei.
- The new version of the Switch is reportedly smaller, less expensive, and focused on portability.
- A separate, more powerful Switch console — previously rumored — is reportedly delayed.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
A new Nintendo Switch is said to be in the works, and it could arrive as soon as this fall.
That’s according to a new report from Japanese publication Nikkei, which says that Nintendo will release a smaller, less expensive, portability-focused Nintendo Switch this fall.
The new report lines up with previous rumors about a Nintendo Switch hardware iteration, which pointed to two new versions of the Nintendo Switch: a smaller, less expensive one, and a more powerful new version.
The latter device is reportedly delayed, according to Nikkei, which cites development challenges.
Michael Kovac/Getty Images for Nintendo
The rumor isn’t without precedent: Video game console makers, including Nintendo, are known for releasing new versions of existing consoles.
The idea is simple: new versions of existing consoles could re-energize sales, and at the same time, can potentially reduce hardware production costs.
Similarly, in releasing a more powerful version of an existing console, console makers can bolster horsepower without having to release an entirely new platform.
In the case of the PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X, for instance, both consoles offer sharper visuals and snappier load times, even though they’re only intended to play standard PlayStation 4 and Xbox One games.
"Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"/Nintendo
Nintendo is expected to reveal at least one of the rumored consoles at E3 2019 in June, the annual video game trade show in Los Angeles. A Nintendo representative didn’t respond to a request for comment as of publishing.
NOW WATCH: Watch Apple debut its own no-fee credit card
- ‘Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’ is getting a massive update on Wednesday — here’s everything that’s new
- 8 reasons why ‘Apex Legends’ is the best Battle Royale game available
- Apple will reportedly invest $500 million or more in its upcoming Apple Arcade subscription service