Antonio Villas-Boas/Business Insider
- A remote control that’s presumably for the OnePlus TV was spotted, suggesting its imminent release.
- OnePlus CEO Pete Lau told Business Insider in September 2018 that the smartphone company is working on a TV.
- The OnePlus TV will have greater connectivity to smartphones and some kind of artificial intelligence built in.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Almost a year ago, in September 2018, OnePlus CEO Pete Lau told Business Insider the smartphone company is working on a TV.
Since then, no one’s heard a peep from OnePlus or the rumor mill about the OnePlus TV. All we know so far is that Lau envisions seamless connectivity between your smartphone and TV, as well as the type of AI smarts and assistive functionality offered by devices like Amazon’s Echo and the Google Home.
Needless to say, there’s still a lot we don’t know about the OnePlus TV.
On Thursday, however, OnePlus blog AllAboutOnePlus spotted a Bluetooth certification listing submitted by OnePlus for a remote control. Combined with a tweet from Ishan Agarwal — who has leaked accurate gadget information in the past — suggesting that the OnePlus TV is not far away, and we can perhaps expect an announcement from OnePlus in the near future.
Back in 2018, Lau was cautiously optimistic that the OnePlus TV would launch in 2019. Right now, it looks like OnePlus might be on track.
- A small company you’ve never heard of is challenging Samsung with an amazing smartphone that’s hundreds of dollars cheaper. Here’s why I would choose it over a Galaxy S10.
- Apple is catching up with Android by slowly killing the iPhone’s much-criticized notch, reports say
- Executives from Apple, Amazon, Facebook, and Google will be grilled over monopoly fears by lawmakers on Capital Hill next week