- Innokentiy Nogovitsyn is a Russian diamond miner in Siberia.
- He works for Alrosa, the world’s largest diamond miner by volume.
- Nogovitsyn wakes up at 5:30 a.m. every day, takes a 30-minute bus ride to work, and spends nine hours each day in the mine.
- In his job monitoring methane levels, air flow, and temperature in the underground diamond mine, Nogovitsyn walks more than 9 miles, or 15 kilometers, each day.
- Because of his dangerous job, Nogovitsyn gets 76 vacation days per year, which he often spends cycling thousands of miles across Europe, Russia, and Asia.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Nogovitsyn lives in the town of Mirny, a diamond mining town in Russian Siberia about 280 miles (450 kilometers) from the Arctic Circle, where most of the town’s roughly 40,000 residents work for Alrosa.
His job is to monitor methane levels, air flow, and temperature in the mine.
On a recent trip to Russia, I had the chance to tour Alrosa’s facilities and meet Nogovitsyn, who has been working as a miner for eight years. While he didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Russian, a translator helped me understand what a day in his life generally looks like. I wasn’t able to follow Nogovitsyn into the mine for safety reasons, but we met at a hotel café in Mirny, and he later sent me photos taken by himself and his fellow miners.
Here’s what a typical day looks like for Nogovitsyn as a diamond miner in Siberia.
Innokentiy Nogovitsyn is a diamond miner in Siberia. He works for Alrosa, the world’s largest diamond miner by volume.
Mirny has been called a "mono-city" because most of the town’s roughly 40,000 residents work for Alrosa.
Nogovitsyn lives in an apartment in Mirny with his wife and their two children: an 8-year-old daughter and a 5-year-old son.
Nogovitsyn usually wakes up at 5:30 a.m.
At 6:15 a.m., Nogovitsyn catches a bus to the mine where he works, called the International mine, just outside of Mirny.
- A Mega Millions lottery winner is selling his California mountain estate at a $19 million price cut. Take a look at the massive property, which comes with a 17-seat movie theater and a buffalo ranch.
- These are the 15 hottest destinations billionaires are traveling to in 2019
- I toured a Jackson Hole dude ranch where people pay more than $2,100 to try living like a cowboy for a week. Here’s what it looks like.