- A baffling Subway ad went viral on Thursday.
- The strangely intense commercial shows a child at the moment of his birth, major milestones as he grows up, and ends with him as a young man at a Subway shop.
- The ad is real and was released by Subway in Brazil in 2016.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A baffling Subway commercial is going viral three years after it was created.
On Thursday, Ryan Simmons, a video director for SB Nation, posted a tweet with a video of a startlingly epic commercial.
"got another capitalism greatest hit. i will give you one hundred thousand dollars if you can guess the brand by the end," Simmons tweeted.
The ad starts with the birth of a child, then follows him as he grows up. Viewers see the boy climbing trees, shaving for the first time, fighting with his parents, and other major life milestones.
The ad comes to a close as the young man — who we have seen grow up over the course of two minutes — walk into a Subway sandwich shop.
"Everyday, life asks the same question: What are you going to try today?" the voiceover says.
The commercial is, in fact, a real ad for Subway. Writer and Steak-umm social media manager Nathan Allebach tweeted a link to the original commercial on YouTube, which the sandwich chain’s Brazilian arm debuted in 2016.
Three years later, the ad is experiencing a second life on Twitter, as people marvel at the over-the-top commercial.
Subway did not immediately respond to Business Insider’s request for comment on what it thinks about the commercial’s renaissance, but we will update this article if we hear anything.
Watch the full video from Subway Brasil’s YouTube page here:
- Amazon found an inexpensive route into brick-and-mortar retail, and it could be a crucial weapon as it competes with Walmart
- Chick-fil-A is taking over America by offering the best customer service in fast food
- 9 mind-blowing facts about Walmart