Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- When you’re stumped on what to give Mom this Mother’s Day, a photo gift is always a good idea.
- They’re personal, thoughtful, and not hard to make with a little help from technology. Sites like Artifact Uprising, Shutterfly, Etsy, and Snapfish make customizing your own photo gifts easy.
- Keep reading to find out more about how these sites work below. Or, if you’re looking for more gifting inspiration, check out the rest of our Mother’s Day gift ideas here.
Gift-giving is supposed to be exciting, but it can actually be kind of stressful. You don’t want to spend tons of money on a gift that’ll end up collecting dust in the closet or exchanged for store credit. You could just write a check or give them a gift card, but that’s almost too easy — and it tends to feel pretty impersonal.
No matter the recipient or the occasion, you want to a gift that makes someone feel special. That’s why so many of us used to give handmade cards, drawings, and scrapbooks as gifts — it’s that extra mile that shows you care. Luckily for us, we no longer need to spend hours gluing old photos to construction paper to make a sentimental scrapbook. Thanks to the internet, we can get that same personal feel with just a few clicks of a button.
There are plenty of sites out there that’ll turn your photos into beautiful gifts, like photo books, calendars, and canvas prints, and more. Not only are they thoughtful, but you can feel good knowing you’re giving a gift that they can look back at and cherish for years to come.
Keep reading to learn more about where to make custom photo gifts:
Best for: Minimalist, elegant designs and eco-conscious materials.
On Artifact Uprising, you can turn your snapshots into modern, stylish photo gifts. They have basic matte prints, photo books, calendars, and more. All designs are clean and simple, ensuring that your photos are what stand out. The beautiful aesthetic is matched with a commitment to the environment — Artifact Uprising incorporates eco-friendly materials, like acid-free recycled paper, into its designs. Prices start as low as $8 for a set of 10 prints and go up to $299 for a large lay-flat photo album. While the prices may seem premium, they reflect the timeless style and eco-friendly materials that make each gift so special.
What to get:
- Brass Easel & Calendar, from $55
- Everyday Photo Book, from $49
- Color Series Photo Book, from $20
- Modern Metal Frames, from $69
- Wooden Print Hanger with Print, from $89
Find a full review of Artifact Uprising here.
Best for: A breadth of products, letting you personalize just about anything you can think of with photos.
When it comes to photo gifts, Shutterfly is a classic. The site offers an unmatched selection of products ready to be customized with your personal pictures. And, every product comes in a variety of styles to fit different types of decor or taste, so you can find something that is just your recipient’s style. Keep it simple with a classic photo book, go practical with a custom smartphone case, or opt for something fun and unusual with a personalized deck of cards. If you’re still searching for a gift for Mom, Shutterfly has a very timely Mother’s Day gift guide.
What to get:
- Gallery Monogram iPhone Case, $27.50
- Grid Year Canvas Print, from $44.99
- Everyday Moments Photo Book, from $8
- Gallery of One Monogram Fleece Photo Blanket, from $34.99
- Photo Gallery Keepsake Box, $15
Best for: Quick and easy customization at very affordable prices.
Snapfish lets you take photos straight from your Instagram profile, Facebook albums, Google drive, Flickr, and most other places that hold your pictures. Snapfish offers creative ways to gift photos beyond the classic photo books and calendars. You can get pictures printed onto tea towels, blankets, and even placed inside of classy frameless glass. The large selection and easy-to-use customization process makes Snapfish a great choice. Plus, the site is frequently offering discounts, so you can get a really special gift at a really fair price. Snapfish has a similar model and similar offerings to Shutterfly, so we’d recommend checking them both out to see which you prefer.
What to get:
- Glass Photo Prints, $39.99
- Hardcover Photo Book, from $39.99
- Photo Coffee Mug, $12.99
- Insulated Water Bottle, $29.99
- Wall Photo Panel, from $59.99
- 6 sites that offer same-day and next-day delivery for last-minute Mother’s Day flowers
- 28 personalized Mother’s Day gifts that go beyond photos on a mug
- 27 unique Mother’s Day gifts you can find on Uncommon Goods