Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- Gift giving is one of the too few opportunities to remind our loved ones just how much we love them.
- Sentimental gifts are a great way to do exactly that — whether it’s a custom comic book of your love story or a poster that turns meaningful audio clips into art.
- Below, you’ll find 30 thoughtful options that will work for anyone on your list.
At its core, gift giving is the practice of turning feelings like love, warmth, appreciation, and pride into physical keepsakes. It’s one of the too few opportunities to convey to loved ones just how much we really love them.
We all occasionally need the practical gifts that accompany birthdays, graduations, and other celebrations: fresh sheets, external batteries, and airline gift cards to get home for Thanksgiving this year. But, once the basics are covered, most of us really just want to relive (and prolong) our best memories, honor our closest relationships, and fill our lives and homes with mementos that encourage us to savor the meaningful connections we have with one another. In other words, gifts that recognize what really makes us happy.
For that tall order, we followed the guiding principles of sentimental gift giving: customization, uniqueness, and thoughtfulness. Below, you’ll find 30 thoughtful gifts that range from classic to unexpected, and work for everyone from newlyweds to grandparents to best friends.
Below are 30 thoughtful sentimental gift ideas:
A custom map poster
Grafomap is a website that lets you design posters with maps of any place in the world — including their hometown, college town, or favorite travel destination.
Expertly framed memories
Framebridge makes custom framing for not-custom-framing prices. You can print or paint something on your own and have it framed, or have them print and frame it, and you can take advantage of the team of designers for help deciding what frame to get.
A calendar full of cherished personal photos
Photos of loved ones are an instant source of joy and structuring our daily life around them with a calendar is a great way to fill each day with more gratitude and happiness. Artifact Uprising has one that comes in a beautiful brass easel as well as a wood clipboard ($25) that you can customize. The calendar is updated on a rolling 12-month basis, so you don’t have to wait until January to create one.
- This candle startup has a beautiful gifting and unboxing experience that’s a home run for Mother’s Day
- 20 great Mother’s Day gifts for another important mom in your life — your grandma
- This website is my best-kept secret for finding trendy but affordable jewelry — it’s also a great place to shop for Mother’s Day gifts