Jamie McCarthy / Getty Images
- There are several celebrity couples with ties to sports
- From Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen, to Serena Williams and Alexis Ohanian, Magic Rapinoe and Sue Bird, and Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez, these are the most inconic, power couples in sports.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
From musicians to athletes, to every industry in between, some of the most popular individuals have formed the most iconic power couples.
Sometimes in different states or countries, these athletes and their significant others have overcome the distance and stress that can be put on their relationships. It often leads to making both halves even more successful than they already are.
From Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez, to Justin Verlander and Kate Upton, below we take you through the biggest power couples in all of sports.
Roger and Mirka Federer
Tennis star Roger Federer met former tennis star Mirka Vavrinec (now Federer) competing for Switzerland during the 2000 Sydney Olympics, which was also where they shared their first kiss.
In March 2009, Roger and Mirka announced they were expecting their first child and married a few weeks later. They welcomed twin girls in July.
In May 2014, two become four when Mirka gave birth to twins again, only this time they were boys.
Julie and Zach Ertz
AP Photo/Christopher Szagola
Zach and Julie Ertz met at a Stanford University baseball game in 2012 where Zach was a player on the football team. Julie was on the soccer team at Santa Clara University and later that year, the two began dating. They married in 2017.
Julie is a member of the Chicago Red Stars of the National Women’s Soccer League and two-time FIFA Women’s World Cup Champion with the United States Women’s National Team. Zach is Super Bowl champion and tight end for the Philadelphia Eagles. He scored the winning touchdown of Super Bowl LII.
Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez
Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images
Alex Rodriguez and Jennifer Lopez took their relationship public in March 2017.
The two began dating when Lopez was having lunch in Beverly Hills. She saw Rodriguez and said hello, which led to him asking her on a date a few hours later, Lopez told Vanity Fair.
Rodriguez was a 14-time MLB All-Star and has stayed in the spotlight as an ESPN broadcaster. Lopez has also continued her success as a singer and actress, among other endeavors.
The two got engaged in March 2019.
- Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here’s why it doesn’t have mass shootings
- 42 states have or are moving towards legalizing sports betting – here are the states where sports betting is legal
- The incredible life of Roger Federer, the highest-paid tennis player in the world