- Many of the clothing and accessories at Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Gap have been longtime favorites for shoppers.
- We spoke with shoppers and former employees to find out which items are the best and worst at each store.
- Here are 27 products to buy and 14 to consider skipping at Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Gap.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Regular shoppers at these stores may already know what to buy and what to pass on, while new customers may be more compelled to go on a shopping spree.
If you’re not utilizing the 40% discount that all three stores regularly issue out, your shopping cart total can quickly add up with more impulse purchases than necessities.
We spoke with former employees from the three stores, along with die-hard customers, fashion bloggers, and retail analysts, for their take on what to buy and skip on at Banana Republic, Old Navy, and Gap.
Buy at Banana Republic: Madison 12-hour pump
Image and branding consultant Sheila A. Anderson said she thinks women’s shoes at Banana Republic should be in the spotlight more often. This is especially true of the Madison 12-Hour Pump, which lives up to its name.
"This classic pump comes in a range of colors and are so comfortable you can wear them for 12 hours a day or more," Anderson said.
Skip at Banana Republic: Anything made of silk blend
Former Banana Republic employee Amanda Magnanelli is aware of how pretty sweaters made of silk blend look and feel in the store. However, she cautions against making this item an impulse buy.
Manganelli, who worked at Banana Republic for three years, says the combination of poor material and high price points equal a bad purchase.
"These sweaters usually need to be hand-washed and are prone to pilling. Within months, they look worn out," Manganelli said.
Still want a Banana Republic sweater? Switch to another fabric, like cashmere, merino wool, or cotton, Magnanelli told Business Insider.
Buy at Banana Republic: Dress shirts
Buy not one, but several Banana Republic women’s dress shirts each season to keep wardrobes fresh.
"Banana Republic does a great job of creating on-trend items that are classic enough to carry over into next season." Manganelli told Business Insider.
- These are the fast-food items people were obsessed with the year you were born
- We shopped at Avenue the day after it announced it would close its remaining 222 stores and saw why the plus-size chain has been struggling
- 20 of the best products to buy at Best Buy — and 15 you should probably avoid altogether