- 50 years ago, the Apollo 11 astronauts took off for the moon.
- Aside from Neil Armstrong’s unforgettable words upon walking the lunar surface, the three astronauts had much more to say about their experiences.
- Here are their most unforgettable quotes on everything from their historic mission to the future of space travel.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Half a century ago, on July 16, 1969, the Apollo 11 astronauts took off for the moon.
Neil Armstrong, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, and Michael Collins arrived four days later to a place no human being had ever been before.
Collins orbited the moon while Armstrong and Aldrin landed on its surface. It took them hours to put on their space suits and prep for touchdown. After descending the ladder onto the lunar surface, Armstrong uttered his historic words: "That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." (Armstrong would later claim, "’That’s one small step for ‘a’ man.’ It’s just that people just didn’t hear it.")
The 600 million people watching the moon landing on television would remember that line. But the three astronauts had much more to say about their experience flying to the moon and back.
Here are the astronauts’ most memorable words.
Neil Armstrong on vision
NASA via Getty Images
"There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of truth’s protective layers. There are places to go beyond belief."
Source: United Press International
Buzz Aldrin on dreams
"One truth I have discovered for sure: When you believe that all things are possible and you are willing to work hard to accomplish your goals, you can achieve the next ‘impossible’ dream. No dream is too high!"
Buzz Aldrin on keeping an open mind
"Your mind is like a parachute: If it isn’t open, it doesn’t work."
- POWER BROKERS OF FINANCE: HR chiefs from Goldman Sachs, Citi, and BlackRock reveal how to get hired on Wall Street
- Take a look at the legendary NYC street where the US Women’s World Cup team will celebrate its latest win in a ticker-tape victory parade
- 8 signs you’re in a strong relationship — even if it doesn’t feel like it