- "Green" jobs in the renewable-energy industry are seeing a spike in popularity, with plenty of lucrative roles expected to be in demand through 2026.
- Some jobs related to renewable energy can also pay six-figure salaries.
- Wind-turbine technicians and solar panel installers are the fastest-growing jobs in the country. Here are the 25 fastest-growing jobs within the renewable-energy sector
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Saving the earth and having a lucrative career aren’t always mutually exclusive.
In fact, wind-turbine technicians and solar-panel installers are the fastest-growing jobs in the country, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The jobs are in such high demand, they are growing at a rate 12 times as fast as the rest of the US economy.
These "green" jobs can also lead to lofty incomes. Atmospheric scientists and geoscientists average over $90,000 a year, and software developers for renewable-energy companies can even earn six-figure salaries. All 25 of the occupations we’ve highlighted had median annual earnings above the overall national median of $38,640 reported by the BLS.
Here are the 25 fastest-growing jobs within the renewable-energy sector and how much they pay, along with role descriptions from online database O*NET.
21. Civil engineers for renewable-energy companies are expected to see 10.6% job growth by 2026.
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers/flickr
Sectors: Green construction; renewable energy generation; research, design, and consulting services
Annual salary: $86,640
O*NET description: Perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and overseeing construction and maintenance of building structures, and facilities, such as roads, railroads, airports, bridges, harbors, channels, dams, irrigation projects, pipelines, power plants, and water and sewage systems.
20. Financial analysts for renewable-energy companies are expected to see 10.9% job growth by 2026.
create jobs 51/Shutterstock
Sectors: Energy efficiency; governmental and regulatory administration; green construction; research, design, and consulting services
Annual salary: $85,660
O*NET description: Conduct quantitative analyses of information affecting investment programs of public or private institutions.
19. Roofers are expected to see 11.1% job growth by 2026.
Sectors: Green construction
Annual salary: $39,970
O*NET description: Cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures.
- We asked pro résumé coaches to name one thing they wish everyone knew
- Your friends don’t like using their vacation days to celebrate your wedding
- I’ve worked from home for 9 years — and I’ve saved $30,500 on lunches, gas, business attire, and coffee