- While work isn’t your whole life, it’s hard to ignore the fact that you spend 40+ hours a week doing it.
- While regular pencil containers and notebooks are not uncommon to see on desks, livening up your desk with a quirky Lego organizational container and an erasable notebook can add personality and promote productivity.
- I asked my teammates to share what knickknacks and products we keep on our desk at all times — some even help them stay focused and energized throughout the workday.
Work shouldn’t dictate your life, but it’s hard to ignore the fact that you spend 40+ hours of your week there. Keeping fun knickknacks and products at your desk can not only spark conversation with your coworkers, but can make your workspace feel more personalized and unique to your character.
If you walk through your office and look at your coworkers’ desks, you’ll probably see pencil holders, notebooks, and sparsely watered plants. Occasionally, you’ll walk by that one "cool" coworker’s desk and see Lego organizational containers, a reusable electronic notebook, and a crazy-haired Chia Pet.
Insider Picks is far from lacking in quirky desk accessories, so I asked my teammates to share what knickknacks and products they keep at their desk that help them personalize and organize their workspace — some items on this list even help them stay focused and productive throughout the workday.
Here are 19 knickknacks and products we keep on our desk at all times:
Lego Pencil Pot
Director of content strategy Ellen Hoffman uses this Lego garage and garden set to hold her pens, pencils, and other office supplies on her desk.
Emoji Chia Pet
I somehow inherited my boss’ emoji Chia Pet. (Or, was it that I stole it during a recent desk move?) The little guy failed to sprout its head of chia hair, but the tears of joy still bring a smile to my face. It’s as if he’s saying, "It’s all good." —Les Shu, guides editor Insider Picks
Speks Original Nickel Set
I never caught onto the fidget spinner trend, but Speks have my heart. These things are so fun. I often find myself smushing, mashing, and molding the Speks in one of my hands while typing with the other. If I really need a creative reset, I’ll play with Speks for a bit, maybe make some designs out of the magnetic balls. Speks are fun desk decor but also really helpful for giving your mind a break when you’re feeling fidgety. —Remi Rosmarin, reporter Insider Picks
- We predicted these 7 product trends would explode in popularity in 2019 — here’s a mid-year update of how the trends have fared, plus one new trend no one can ignore
- The best spiralizers you can buy to make veggie noodles
- How to change a flat tire, and all the tools you need to do it safely