Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images
- Retail hourly wages in the US vary, ranging from minimum wage paychecks to well above the $7.25 mark.
- Business Insider teamed up with Glassdoor to take a look at the highest-paid sales associate jobs in the US, based on submitted salary reports over the past two years.
- We also looked at reports from Investopedia and The Penny Hoarder and listed all positions from least to highest paying — from Crate and Barrel to Costco.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
While most retail workers make the minimum wage or just above it, a select number earn increasingly high salaries.
We teamed up with Glassdoor to take a look at the highest-paid retail jobs in the US; Glassdoor’s findings include several jewelry stores, along with high-end department stores such as Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Combined with additional data from The Penny Hoarder and Investopedia, some of these specific retail positions make significantly more than similar hourly jobs in other industries, such as those working in fast-food.
Compared to Glassdoor figures from four years ago, many retailers have remained high-ranking, though this year’s findings include several new companies. Additionally, Business Insider’s Kate Taylor and Mary Hanbury previously reported major retailers such as Costco, Amazon, and Target are continually raising wages in the ongoing "war for talent."
For Glassdoor averages, the amounts represent averages of hourly salaries submitted on Glassdoor from January 1, 2017 to June 19, 2019 for sales associate jobs in the retail industry. Only employers with at least 10 sales associate salaries submitted during that period were included. Investopedia’s findings include the most up-to-date pay rates as of 2018.
16. Crate and Barrel: Sales Associate
Crate and Barrel Sales Associate Average Hourly Pay: $12.17
Glassdoor reported that Crate and Barrel sales associates make over $12. The houseware and furniture chain is a part of the Otto Group; according to the company website, the group "employs 7,500 associates across Crate and Barrel and CB2." CB2 is Crate and Barrel’s "millennial-focused" sister brand.
15. Lowe’s: Sales Associate
Lowe’s Sales Associate Average Hourly Pay: $12.22
14. Nordstrom Rack: Sales Associate
Nordstrom Sales Associate Average Hourly Pay: $12.44
- How the Teen Vogue ‘super intern’ on The Hills became the CEO of a billion-dollar beauty company
- 7 mind-blowing facts about Target’s business
- We shopped at Macy’s and JCPenney to see which department store is better — and the winner was overwhelmingly clear