Eugene Gologursky/Getty Images
- Rental data company AirDNA compiled a list of the most seasonal vacation destinations where owners can expect to see profits double during the summer months for beaches, or the winter months for ski towns.
- The list includes many beach towns in New York and New England, such as the Hamptons, Cape May, New Jersey, and Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Only one ski town, Big Sky, Montana, made the list.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If you’ve ever rented or owned a vacation home, you know how big of a difference the seasons can make.
Data company AirDNA released a list of the cities that are the least and the most seasonal, or where the seasons tend to have the most impact on rental price.
To calculate this, AirDNA created seasonality scores based on the difference in demand between peak and off-peak seasons in cities in the US. It also considered the rates that vacation rentals brought during their peak and off-peak seasons.
Especially prone to large changes in vacation rental income are beach towns in the Northeast; beaches on the New Jersey shore, Long Island, and Cape Cod made this list frequently. Only one ski town — Big Sky, Montana — made the list.
For those looking for consistent income from a rental vacation home, these 15 markets probably aren’t the ones for you. But, if you don’t mind the ebb and flow of tourist season, these places offer rental rates that nearly double at certain points of the year.
15. Orange Beach, Alabama
On the Gulf Coast and near Gulf Shores, Orange Beach is a smaller beach town known for family-friendly activities, water sports and white sand.
Busiest month: June
Average daily rate during peak season: $377
Average daily rate during off-peak season: $216
14. Port St. Joe, Florida
Romona Robbins/Getty Images
Located on the Gulf of Mexico, Port St. Joe offers the essential Florida beach vacation experience with water sports, lots of local dining, and an abundance of beaches.
Busiest month: July
Average daily rate during peak season: $364
Average daily rate during off-peak season: $231
13. Southampton, New York
Miles Astray/Getty Images
Southampton offers lavish beach homes and waterfront properties, along with art museums, vineyards, and, of course, beaches.
Busiest month: July
Average daily rate during peak season: $1,000
Average daily rate during off-peak season: $595
- 7 people who retired by age 45 reveal their top tips
- 10 of the top credit card offers in August, from up to $500 cash back on Delta flights to the best points-earning pick for beginners
- What is a high-yield checking account? It’s exactly what it sounds like