You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, May 24, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] The Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach has just completed a major expansion called Pacific Visions featuring stunning interactive exhibitions, a state-of-the-art immersive Honda Pacific Visions Theater, an art gallery designed to transport visitors under the ocean, and live animal exhibits. The new wing officially opens to the public this Friday.
2. [9 a.m.] Walt Disney Concert Hall welcomes The BTHVN on tour exhibition to BP Hall from May 17-26 during the LA Phil’s Beethoven concert series. The BTHVN is a global touring exhibit highlighting Beethoven’s life, original objects like the viola and original scores along with some interactive elements. The exhibit is free and open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will be ticketed LA Phil concerts during this period of the exhibit.
3. [10 a.m.] RuPaul’s DragCon Los Angeles 2019 comes to the Los Angeles Convention Center May 24 – 26 for three days of art, pop culture, and all things drag. The convention features panels, photo ops, meet and greets, shopping, and much more.
4. [noon] Grand Central Market hosts Friday Night Flights this Friday starting at noon. The special includes a flight of drinks or bites from GCM vendors and a round trip ticket on the historic Angels Flight Railway right across the street for $15.
5. [12:15 p.m.] Annenberg PetSpace hosts Pet Encounters this Friday allowing their adoptable pets to socialize with people. Stop by and interact with some adorable dogs and support the community space. Registration is required.
6. [6 p.m.] Los Angeles County Museum of Art hosts free jazz performances on Fridays through November. Concerts take place at the main entrance. Tonight’s performance features Grammy Award nominated jazz pianist and composer, Otmaro Ruiz. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] 4th Fridays on 4th Street activates the “Retro Road” business district in Long Beach on the fourth Friday of every month from 6 to 10 p.m. through extended hours, dining specials, discounted merchandise, pop up shops, art shows, live music, double decker bus rides and more.
8. [7:30 p.m.] Hershey Felder returns to the Wallis Annenberg Center for Performing Arts with Hershey Felder: A Paris Love Story. Playwright and performer, Hershey Felder will take audiences on a journey into the life and music of Impressionist composer Claude Debussy. The show runs May 24 through June 9. Check for discounted tickets before your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. [various] If Halloween and horror movies are your favorite topics then I Like Scary Movies Experience will be just what you’re looking for. Guests can expect to see, hear, feel, and smell recreations of iconic moments from IT (2017), Beetlejuice, The Shining, The Lost Boys, and A Nightmare on Elm Street. There won’t be costumed actors jumping out trying to startle but there will be multi-sensory surprises along your winding path. The pop-up experience runs April 4 through June 16 Thursday through Sunday. Check for discounted tickets before your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] WE RISE, a free 10 day pop-up festival (May 18-27) will honor Mental Health Awareness Month through artists presentations, creative programming, workshops, activism, panels and more – all focused on supporting a call to action for mental health as a civil right. FREE
#SPONSORED DEAL: $7 tix to the Original Lobster Festival (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar
The post 10 Fun Things To Do TODAY in L.A. for May 24, 2019 appeared first on .
Source: – We Like L.A. Staff