You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 3, 2019.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affil®iate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8 a.m.] Kites for a Cause a series of one-day, pop-up-style workshops held along the L.A River bike path invites the public to help cleanup a section of the L.A river, and then join local artists in creating art objects inspired by their local communities and environment. FREE
2. [10:30 a.m.] Heritage Day at the California African American Museum celebrates your family’s history this Saturday. The Los Angeles Public Library (LAPL) will be on hand to help you preserve memories by digitizing keepsakes providing you with archival-quality copies to take-home. There will be drop-in art activities, a genealogy workshop and Deborah Swan will share stories of her late grandfather, Leon Hefflin. This all-ages event is presented in conjunction with the exhibit The Liberator: Chronicling Black Los Angeles, 1900–1914. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] Midsummer Scream, the world’s largest Halloween and horror convention returns to Long Beach with over 350 vendors for all your horror needs plus panels and special presentations from Universal Studios Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights, Queen Mary’s Dark Harbor, Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre Group’s Urban Death plus numerous live entertainment experiences.
4. [noon] Angel City Brewery presents their 7th Annual Avocado Fest August 3-4 celebrating four different kinds of avocado ale with avocado food, live music, and fun games.
5. [3:45 p.m.] ALT 98.7 Summer Camp takes over the Queen Mary Events Park for a day of music by Of Monsters and Men, Walk the Moon, The Head and The Heart, Phantogram, Cold War Kids, Grouplove, Lovelytheband and more. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. [6:30 p.m.] Enjoy a vintage-style summer evening at the drive-in during San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights at the Lake Balboa Complex. Jurassic Park screens on Saturday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. [7 p.m.] KCRW Summer Nights will take place at KCRW HQ this Saturday with a performance by Black Pumas with KCRW DJs Anne Litt and Raul Campos. Events are free and open to all-ages. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] Celebrate Los Angeles’ unique celestial beauty when the National Park Service’s Night Sky Festival returns to Paramount Ranch in Agoura Hills this Saturday. The free event will allow guests to observe the planets of our Milky Way Galaxy through telescopes, search for bats with a Ranger, enjoy dinner, and listen to a lecture by Dr. Longcore. This event is open to all ages. FREE
9. [various] The first-ever Museum of Weed opens to the public this weekend. This brand new, 30,000 square foot space of ‘higher learning’ features features interactive exhibits, Instagram-friendly art installations and a bevy of historical artifacts that tell of the story of marijuana, specifically focusing on the political and social turmoil surrounding its use.
10. [various] Think Tank Gallery is teaming up with Pizzaboyzzz and Future Fantasy Delight to present Nothing Cheezy a pizza-fueled, self-aware, selfie-themed pop-up thats a little bit satire and is intentionally too encompassing to be captured in a picture, thus forcing viewers to live inside the art. This is a ticketed experience that takes guests through the “craziest kitchen you’ve ever seen” and thirteen themed environments plus pizza of course. Open Thursday through Sunday.
#SPONSORED DEAL FOR THE DAY: $35 tix to see Gypsy Kings at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
The post 10 Fun Things To Do TODAY in L.A. for August 3, 2019 appeared first on .
Source: – We Like L.A. Staff